Thursday, April 9, 2009

So the other day I walked past a sign painted on a wall that says "Don't drink and walk in the middle of the road. Arive alive" So I can just imagine this drunk person stumbling out of the bar, into the middle of the road. Lucky for him he looks up and, in his drunken stupor, not being able to put two sentences together, he manages to read the sign. He then pulls all the working parts of his brain together and interprets the meaning. Then goes "Oh, let me walk on the sidewalk" and manages to (still in his drunken state) incoordinatedly stumble to the sidewalk and stay there for the rest of his journey home. Lucky him.
You gotta admire the people for trying though.

I've been learning a lot about different cultures. Me and the other community service OT regularly speak about things like, how they would celebrate easter or getting married any paying lobola. Apparantely an unmarried woman without a child and a tertiary degree is worth anything from R40 000. So any takers? I'm sure my dad would be happy with that incentive.

Anyway, despite the differences there are also a lot of familiarities. I'm realising that, no matter how poor, rich, sick or indifferent you are to other people, everyone's insides are basically the same. I got into this patients room the other day. She is 20 years old and she was burned badly on her face, back, hands and legs. She can barely use her hands as the thick scar tissue is preventing her from bending her fingers. And she's ususally all tought and don't-care. But today I got there and her eyes were red. All she wanted was to talk to her mother. So I just sat on her bed and let her cry. Sometimes we need to cry the bad stuff out to make place for the good stuff. And realise that people, in the end, are just people. Same inside as you.

3 comments:

  1. R40 000? that sounds like a bargain! I'm sure you're worth much, much more than that... maybe even as much as R41 000! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee thanks! Well, my dad will be happy for the extra income though... maybe it could cover the expenses of the wedding. Well, some of it anyway...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flippen cool blog :) Bly om weer ietsie van jou te hoor. Klink regte na 'n interessante jaar wat jy het!

    ReplyDelete