Thursday, April 23, 2009

Today

Today I was just fed up with everyone doing nothing. Seriously I have never in my life experience professional behaviour like this. My boss sneaking around behind her boss’s back, leaving early for lunch or acting sick to skip a day of work. People looking at files and just writing their names down after 5 minutes with a patient, guessing at assessments. Girls coming to work (THERAPISTS) in high heels and skinny jeans, sitting in the reception the entire day looking pretty and staring at me because I’m actually doing my work. And I was just simply sick of it.

Then the head of department asked me if I wanted to go to church with her in lunch time. Good thing I grew up in a charismatic church otherwise I would’ve been so overwhelmed. I got there and saw head of departments, people from fancy offices, down on their knees praying loudly, moaning to God. Expressing their doubts, fears, crying His name, raising their hands and voices. It was so natural. Nothing weird about it. No one shy. And then the pastor began to sing, and, without words on a board, without a band, people just fall in and sing. At the top of their voices. It was so beautiful. I can’t describe it, how such spontaneity could be so amazingly beautiful.

Then the woman started preaching. I was amazed by her passion. Sometimes she was screaming so hard and powerfully that my ears almost burst (seriously, it was a small space with high resonance) And then she would feel God speak, go on another track and tears would fill her eyes. You can see the Lord through this woman. She said something that rang particularly true to me is the following… while we are busy with God’s business, God is busy with ours. She was talking about, how, even when you’re worried about paying your child’s school fees, pay someone else’s. If you don’t have time for yourself, spend time with a sick child. Get busy with God’s business. We are His hands and feet. People see what’s going on in the world and ask “Where is God?” and the answer is, God is in us. We are here to do His business. And then, while we’re busy with the business of God, he takes care of our own problems, so we never have to worry. We never have to wonder where the solutions to our problems will come from, because God already knows them.

And this is how God is with me every day. This is how he holds my hand and my heart. This is how he takes care of me. I get to learn about him in tough times. I get to learn that, what is tough for me, would be a priviledge for others. And how to work as if I’m working for Him, not for people. To see what I can do for others. And I’m not even almost where I should be, but I’m learning every day. All the glory to HIM!! When He asks you to do something, he ALWAYS gives you what you need to do it!

1 comment:

  1. your blogs are hectic... stuff i don't want to hear, but stuff i need to hear. you're really speaking into my life, karlien.

    ReplyDelete